Flying Eagles Salim Fago Lawal’s diving header and Jude Sunday’s last-gasp finish helped Nigeria upset Italy on Wednesday in an end-to-end match at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Argentina 2023.
The Flying Eagles advance to the knockout stage with six points, while the Azzurri have three points after two games in Group D.
Both teams had chances in the first half, with Tommaso Baldanzi putting Kingsley Aniagboso to the test. Just after an hour, the first goal was scored.
Umeh Emmanuel, a half-time substitution, clashed with Gabriele Guarino inside the Italian area, but the latter sprung straight up and dinked the ball back across the goal. Salim Fago Lawal sprang into the air and flew into a semi-protected net.
- NLC To Begin Nationwide Strike Wednesday Over Fuel Subsidy Removal
- Tinubu Names Gbajabiamila As Chief Of Staff, Akume As SGF
- Court Admits Results For Seven States Tendered By LP, Obi
- My World Crumbled After My Hubby Impregnated His Ex — Toke Makinwa
- BRICS Ministers Demand Rebalancing Of Global Order Away From West
Following that, Nigeria’s superb defense limited Italy to shots from outside the box. Daniele Montevago had the finest chance, but his curler went wide.
Then, in stoppage time, the Flying Eagles clinched the match. Aniagboso provided the assist, with his punt upfield finding the charging Sunday, who smashed it across goal and into the bottom corner.